Kendrick Lamar is a well-known rapper, singer, songwriter, and music producer from the United States. He is frequently referred to as one of the most influential rappers in history and his generation’s voices.
He is a hip-hop musician from the United States who is most known for his debut studio album, ‘good kid, m.A.A.d city,’ released in 2012. Kendrick Lamar was born in 1987 in Compton, California, and grew up there.
Kendrick began his musical career as a teenager under the moniker ‘K-Dot.’ Lamar is well-known for his solo work and his membership in the hip hop band ‘Black Hippy.’ The rapper has won numerous prizes throughout his journey, including 13 Grammy Awards.
|Full Name||Kendrick Lamar Duckworth|
|Nickname||K-Dot, Kung-fu Kenny, King Kendrick, King Kunta, K-Dizzle, Kendrick Llama, K. Montana|
|Profession||Rapper, Singer-Songwriter, Record Producer|
|Date of Birth||17 June 1987|
|Age [as of 2021]||50 years|
|Birthplace||Compton, California, United States.|
|Hometown||Compton, California, U.S.|
|Current City||California, U.S|
|Ethnicity||He’s of African-American descent|
|School||McNair Elementary and Vanguard Learning Center in the Compton Unified School District|
|College||Centennial High School in Compton|
|Height||in centimeters- 167 cm
in meters- 1.67 m
in feet inches- 5'6"
|Weight||in kilograms- 68 kg
in pounds- 150 lbs
|Relationships & Affairs|
|Parents||Father- Kenny Duckworth
Mother- Paula Oliver
|Net Worth (approx.)||$75 million|
Kendrick Lamar Duckworth was born on June 17, 1987, in Compton, California, to a Chicago-based couple. Despite never being a gang member, he grew up in the company of gang members, with his dearest buddies being Westside Piru Bloods and his father, Kenny Duckworth, a Gangster Disciple.
His mother named him Eddie Kendricks in honor of The Temptations’ American singer-songwriter Eddie Kendricks. He was raised on public assistance and in Section 8 housing.
Lamar observed his idols Tupac Shakur and Dr. Dre recording the music video for their smash track “California Love” when he was eight years old, which proved to be a pivotal experience in his life.
Lamar attended Compton Unified School District’s McNair Elementary and Vanguard Learning Center. His mother said that he was a “loner” until the age of seven, and he has admitted to being quiet and shy in school.
He was a straight-A student at Centennial High School in Compton when he was a teenager.
Kenny Duckworth and Paula Oliver are his parents, and they migrated to Los Angeles from Chicago, where Kenny was a member of the Gangster Disciples.
Kendrick Lamar’s two younger brothers and sister were born after relocating to Compton. The family was raised on food stamps and in Section 8 housing.
Kendrick attended McNair Elementary School in Compton and subsequently Centennial High School.
Kendrick Lamar was an A student in middle school who struggled with stuttering and dreamed of being a basketball player.
Kendrick eventually developed an interest in poetry and began creating his lyrics and poems.
Kendrick Lamar’s career took off in 2004 when he released a mixtape called “Youngest Head Ni*ga in Charge” when he was 16 years old (Hub City Threat: Minor of the Year).
The mixtape got the young rapper a lot of local attention, which led to him being signed by Top Dawg Entertainment, a Californian indie label.
Kendrick Lamar started working with his new band and released ‘Training Day,’ a 26-track mixtape. Under the moniker K-Dot, the rapper collaborated with several up-and-coming artists, including Jay Rock, Ya Boy, and The Game.
Lamar participated in Jay Rock’s music video for “All My Life (In The Ghetto)” and several singles. After a video of him in a rap war with other local rappers, the rapper began to acquire more attention.
Lil Wayne gave Lamar a co-sign and dropped a new mixtape dubbed ‘C4’. The rapper recorded and released an E.P. named “The Kendrick Lamar EP” shortly after deciding to shed his professional name and return to his birth name.
Lamar performed with Tech N9ne and Jay Rock in 2010 and released the single “Overly Dedicated,” which reached number 72 on the R&B and Hip Hop charts in the USA.
The song ‘Ignorance is Bliss’ from the mixtape got Dr. Dre’s attention, and he requested Kendrick Lamar to collaborate with him and Snoop Dogg on the ‘Detox’ album.
‘Section.80,’ the rapper’s self-released album, received widespread critical acclaim in 2011. Despite no promotion, the album sold thousands of copies in its first week, and a music video for the tune ‘ADHD’ followed.
Ascend to Fame
Kendrick Lamar released his fifth mixtape, Overly Dedicated, while on tour with The Independent Tour. In September 2010, it was digitally removed and made available for free. Dr. Dre was inspired to work with him after hearing his song Ignorance Is Bliss.
In 2011, he released his first independent album, Section 80, followed by his first mainstream album, Good child, an m.A.A.d city, in 2012.
Kendrick Lamar received seven Grammy nominations for his 2012 album. However, he did not win any. Then in 2015, Kendrick released To Pimp A Butterfly, which landed him on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine and earned him five Grammy Awards.
Kendrick Lamar has four big albums to his credit, the most recent being Damn in 2017. In 2016, he released Untitled Unmastered, a collection of tracks not included in Pimp a Butterfly. He also has five mixtapes and forty-three singles under his belt.
K-Dot, Kung-fu Kenny, King Kendrick, King Kunta, K-Dizzle, Kendrick Llama, K. Montana.
Kendrick Lamar performs to raise funds for India’s impoverished women and children. He also donates to the Red Cross.
Relationship, Wife, and Affairs
Kendrick Lamar and Whitney Alford had been dating for ten years when they met in Centennial High School. They were engaged to be married in 2015.
Kendrick Lamar stands at 5 feet 5 inches, and his weight is 68 kgs. His eyes and hairs were black, and he had an athletic body type.
Achievements & Awards
- In 2012 and 2013, Kendrick Lamar got the B.E.T. Hip Hop Award for ‘Lyricist of the Year.’
- In 2013, he earned the Vanguard Award at the ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Music Awards and the B.E.T. Award for “Best New Artist” and “Best Male Hip-Hop Artist” in two categories.
- He additionally won ‘Album of the Year at the Soul Train Music Awards in 2013 for Good Kid, m. A.A.D. City.
- He was named ‘Best Male Hip-Hop Artist at the B.E.T. Awards in 2014 and 2015. In 2014, he received multiple B.E.T. Hip Hop Awards, including Album of the Year and Lyricist.
- For his song “I,” he received Grammy Awards for “Best Rap Song” and “Best Rap Performance” in 2015.
- For “Alright,” he won the Grammy Award for “Best Rap Performance” and “Best Rap Song” in 2016. For ‘These Walls,’ he was also nominated for a Grammy Award for ‘Best Rap/Sung Collaboration (with Bilal, Anna Wise and Thundercat).
- He won the Grammy Award for ‘Best Music Video’ for ‘Bad Blood’ in 2015. (with Taylor Swift). In 2016, his album ‘To Pimp a Butterfly’ won the Grammy Award for ‘Album of the Year.’
- In 2017, he was nominated for Grammy Awards in several categories.
Kendrick Lamar is undoubtedly one of the most successful rappers, with a net worth of $75 million. He is one of the world’s wealthiest and highest-paid artists.
Interesting Facts about Kendrick Lamar
- In 2004, at the age of 16, Kendrick dropped his first mixtape, “Youngest Head Ni*ga in Charge.” In the same year, he joined Top Dawg Entertainment, a record label.
- In 2008, he starred alongside Lil Wayne in a music video for Jay Rock’s “All My Life (In the Ghetto).”
- Overly Dedicated was his first mixtape to chart on BillBoard’s top R&B/HipHop Charts, reaching number 72.
- Section 80, Lamar’s debut studio album, was released on July 2, 2011. It scored at number 113 on the Billboard 200 in the United States and the Billboard RnB/HipHop chart.
- In 2015, Billboard named him one of the “10 Greatest Rappers of All Time.”
- The California State Senate awarded him the Generational Icon Award in 2015.
- For the first time, he was included in the Time 100 list of the world’s most influential people in 2016.
- He won the Pulitzer Prize for Music in 2018 for his album Damn, making him the first non-jazz or classical musician to do so.
- Lamar was named to several prestigious international publications’ lists of the greatest rappers of all time.
- Along with Jay Rock, ScHoolboy Q, and Ab-Soul, he is a member of the hip-hop collective Black Hippy.
- In 2016 and 2018, he made history by winning all of the Grammy Awards in the rap category at the same time.
- Lamar is a devout follower of Christ.
- He has a substantial social media following, with over 9.5 million Instagram and YouTube followers.
Linda Brown is the Author & Editor of this Blog. She is a fashion designer, a Dog lover, and a proud mother of two kids. Linda is a fan of Movies, TV Shows, Theaters, and Books by almost every author. Her Favourite hobby is listening to retro and suspense stories. Read more about her >>